Close Menu

Passengers in Albuquerque Trucking Crashes May Have Claims Against the Driver

Albuquerque Trucking Crashes: Passengers May Have Claims Against the Driver in the Cars They Were Riding In

In any motor vehicle crash there could be multiple parties liable for the crash.  This includes in Albuquerque trucking crashes.  One obvious party that may be liable is the other driver which caused the crash.  This means the other driver who may have crossed the center line, made an illegal U-turn, or made an improper left turn.  This liable party is just clear that they did something wrong in the trucking crash.

But sometimes the liable party is not always as obvious.  Even though another driver may have crossed the center line, the driver of the passenger’s vehicle may actually be liable for the crash.  This could be fully liable or partially liable.  For example, if one truck makes an improper left turn but the driver of your vehicle is speeding and cannot stop in time, both the truck driver and the driver of your vehicle may be liable for your injuries as a passenger.

This can be a complicated lawsuit, particularly because it is against a large commercial trucking company which is protected by an insurance company and large corporation with corporate lawyers.  This is why you need lawyers that focus on trucking accidents, like the experienced Albuquerque trucking accident lawyers at the NM Truck Accident Attorneys To learn more, call us for a free consultation by dialing (505) 883-5000.

Who Should a Passenger Hurt in an Albuquerque Trucking Crash Seek Compensation From?

The passenger should always commence an action against both the other driver and the driver of the vehicle that he or she was an occupant in.  This is because it may be the case that the driver of the vehicle he or she was occupying was responsible for the crash.  In a trucking crash, it may very well be likely that the truck driver and trucking company was liable too.  This can be confusing, but New Mexico law allows a plaintiff to collect against even a party that was 1% liable for the crash.  If one party is more than 51% liable for the crash, the victim may be able to recover the entire amount against that party and that party will be responsible for recovering the remaining 49% from the other party.  This means creates less litigation for the victim to worry about.

But the passenger should always think about what the driver of the car he or she was in could have done wrong.  Some common types of liability against a driver that a passenger may have a claim for include the following:

  • Speeding;
  • Distracted driving;
  • Making a last minute turn;
  • Failing to apply the brakes in time;
  • Delayed reaction;
  • Misjudging a hazard;
  • Driving while intoxicated or buzzed;
  • Mechanical failures of his or her vehicle; and
  • Many other causes.

What Damages Could a Passenger Recover?

In a trucking crash, the passenger of a truck that may be partially liable can recover compensation for the following:

  • Medical bills;
  • Lost wages;
  • Lost earnings;
  • Property damage;
  • Pain and suffering, both past and future;
  • Loss of services or consortium; and
  • Other possible damages.

Passengers Hurt in an Albuquerque Trucking Crash Should Call the NM Truck Accident Attorneys to Protect Their Rights to Compensation

Passengers have a lot of rights in a trucking crash because they are very unlikely to have caused the crash.  This is simply because they were not driving during the accident, therefore they have no fault or comparative fault.  Here at the NM Truck Accident Attorneys, trucking accidents is what we do.  Call us today by dialing (505) 883-5000 You can also contact us on our website through the easy to use and convenient Contact box located by clicking here.

Attorney Marketing Network NM Truck Accident Attorneys - 2017 - 2023
Contact Form Tab