Brain Injury After 18 Wheeler Wreck in New Mexico
Understanding New Mexico Law: Brain Injury After 18 Wheeler Wreck
One of the most traumatic types of personal injuries is a brain injury after 18 wheeler wreck in New Mexico. This is because a brain injury, also known as a traumatic brain injury or TBI, can cause a lifetime of disability and permanent damage. Victims who suffer from serious personal injuries as a result of tractor trailer accident could be entitled to compensation under New Mexico law. This includes compensation for the following:
- Past pain and suffering – from the accident to the settlement or court award
- Future pain and suffering – from the court award to the end of a person’s natural life
- Medical bills – past and future
- Lost wages – due to the accident, injuries, disability, and treatment
- Lost future earnings – if unable to work in the same job, payment for the difference of the old salary and the new salary
- Loss of consortium – relations with a spouse, but also interaction and relationship development with a spouse, child, sibling, parent, or other family member
- Ambulatory devices – braces, wheelchairs, walkers, and other devices can be paid for
- Modifications to a home or vehicle
- 24/7 nursing home care or in-home nursing care, and
- Other types of damages under New Mexico law.
Types of Brain Injuries After an 18 Wheeler Wreck
There are many different types of brain injuries, but the most common types of brain injuries after a trucking accident wreck include the following:
- Concussion – the CDC defines a concussion as a bump, blow, or impact to the head. This is a serious type of injury that can result in disability. Some of the concussion symptoms can be due to a chemical change in the brain from the impact. Other symptoms can be due to the impact itself and the damage that it causes.
- Diffuse axonal brain injury – this is defined as an impact that results in damage to the brain in the form of sheering, tearing, or other physical damage to the actual brain tissue. A diffuse axonal brain injury can be very devastating and not repair itself, permanently damage parts of the brain.
- Coup-contrecoup brain injuries – this is a brain injury caused by a whiplash motion that is a back and forth impact that damages the brain on two sides
- Brain bleed – damage to the brain that bleeds and causes damage to it that can increase intracranial pressure in the bran and be fatal.
- Penetrating brain injuries – when debris from the force of an impact damages the head and pierces the skull, it can damage the brain and result in very serious injury or wrongful death.
Ask our Experienced Brain Injury Lawyers at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. for Help with Your Case
A brain injury is one of the most serious types of damages that a victim of a New Mexico trucking accident could suffer. There are not many places to turn after this type of injury. But learn how our experienced law firm can help you by dialing (505) 883-5000 for a FREE consultation. At the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., our compassionate staff is ready to assist you with your needs to ensure your rights to compensation are well-protected under New Mexico law.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 883-5000 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.